Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Wall

It is Monday and just getting out of bed feels like a marathon. Maybe I have hit "The Wall".

"The Wall" a term most people are familiar with even if they are NOT runners, is a term most runners fear. My fear around it comes with the complete melt down at my half marathon. The training was tough and haphazard due to injury, but I finished the race...then proceeded to be sicker than ever in my life. I decided that perhaps running is not good for my body. With time I began to train again, like a child, distraction had completely erased the details of the event (or my massive consumption of wine had killed those brain cells). This time as I approached the 12 miles and the cursed 13, my gall bladder gave out and I had to have surgery. Recovery took much longer than expected and once on my feet again, I found I was determined to train AGAIN. What can I say, my husband was/ is sneaking me crazy pills. As training picked up, I again faltered at 12 miles and the ugly 13 miler won. Jesse continued to train and ran another Marathon with Chris. It was obvious that "The Wall" for me was mile 13.

Friday, I ran 14 miles. As Jesse and I ran past mile 13, Jess said "look, there was no big brick wall there" and he is right, I ran past mile 13 without my legs disintegrating under me or my heart exploding in my chest.

I have tender feet and heavy exhausted legs. Monday morning means a new week and a looming 16 mile run. Today I somehow have to will myself onto the treadmill for a 7 miler. They say that "The Wall" is as much mental as it is physical, so what keeps you running when all you want to do is stop? What gets you out of bed on Monday morning when all you want to do is sleep?

I will ponder this while I put up my feet and have another cup of coffee...or...is it too early to have a glass of wine?

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment