Saturday, January 14, 2012

Getting High (Part 2 from "Sweet 16, are you ready to lose it?"

(PART 2...continued from "Sweet 16, are you ready to lose it?")

As tears welled in my eyes, we started down the hill. We were half way to a full 16 miles, farther than I have ever run, farther than I thought was ever possible! The truth is, I never wanted to be a runner, I was the one that would say "the only way to get me to run is if something is chasing me" and now, I am attempting 16 miles. If I can do this, maybe, just maybe, I will make it to my Napa Valley Marathon finish line.

At mile 13.1, Jesse congratulated me on passing my wall yet again (see blog "The Wall") and we strode on to mile 14, tears streaming down my cheeks; bouts of crying seem to be routine on my long runs. My legs were heavy and the pain was cursing through my quads. My feet thumped the ground shooting pain into my calf muscles. The end was in sight, I thought I might be able to will myself each and every last step through mile 15, when suddenly and quite by accident...I got high.

I have heard of getting high running, but had never experienced it. As a seasoned wine drinker, I know a thing or two about getting your buzz on but the "Runner's High" completely eluded me. What do you have to do, how far do you have to go to experience this magic people talk about? Evidently, I had to go 15 miles.

As I pushed on, I suddenly became clear headed. I stopped connecting to the pain in my body. As if on automatic pilot, my body took over and I realized I didn't have to will my body to do it, but trust my body to. I looked down at my legs, almost an out of body experience, and realized I had sped up! My breathing was steady and confidant, my body moved easily and I hit 16 miles strong... and then I lost it. I burst into tears, sobbing.

Was I proud of myself? Yes of course, but this was something else. It was as if I had reached so far into my core and each muscle fiber in order to accomplish this feat that I was now releasing emotions and stress that had been harbored in my body for who knows how long. Now, standing on the side of the road, it was purged out of me.

At home, I sat on my sofa...quite... still and without the normal battery of thoughts. The list of things to do, work that had to be done, was nonexistent. I felt utter peace. It became very clear, this is why people run long distances. I think I just found the Runner's High.

And so, with my sweet 16, I did lose it and not only was I okay, I felt I had really grown from the experience. I felt a sense of calm and decided as a full fledged woman now...a glass of Vivác Diavolo was appropriate.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

1 comment: