Saturday, January 4, 2014

Cross Train This


Cross training is an important part of my early training. For those of you that are not familiar with "cross training", this term refers to the process in which you torture yourself with other sports besides running.

Today I hit the road on our newly acquired road bike.  They say "it's just like riding a bike" to insinuate a great deal of ease. Whomever came up with that saying was not riding a road bike and had no experience with clipless pedals.  A side note about clipless pedals, why are they called that? You literally HAVE to clip your shoe into the damn thing! And there in lies the problem...once you are ruthlessly clipped into these hounds of hell, you need to become adept at escaping before crashing violently into the pavement. While upright you will need to battle the intense winds that threaten to blow you into oblivion, which seems incredibly easy on a road bike.

Biking aside, as I start training, I am reminded of 2 facts...1) I am always WAY more out of shape than I thought, and 2) Exercising gives me a powerful thirst. Both of which make me question my sanity. Why am I taking this on again?

Needless to say, at the end of our short ride, I was left with a mouth full of dirt...or in wine speak "terrior" and absolute jello arms & legs. Perhaps it is due to the earthy elements I tasted, perhaps it is the intense fear I experienced as I dodged dogs, cars & tumble weeds, but I arrived home ready for wine. I believe it will be a Cabernet Sauvignon.

I wonder if they make training wheels for adult bikes?

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment