Saturday, December 13, 2014

Paradigm Shift


I sit with a rich cup of hot coffee in my hand, the kerrygold butter melting into the black pool. It is cold outside. I can feel the cold air pushing against me as I look out our large picture window; my warm little house is cuddled around me. I am at peace and filled with the most incredible gratitude for the incredible things in my life. This is why I run.

When you train and push your body, mind and soul, past their comfort zones, you reach a place that triggers pure enjoyment of the little things around you. It is fact that we crave the highs and lows of experiences no matter what your life looks like. Your mind finds a way of becoming numb to that around you. Your comfort zone swallows it up and in order to feel again, appreciate anything, you have to break free. Running can do that for you. The extreme task of beating your body down pulls your mind into sharp focus for being in the moment. Once your comfort zone shifts, your paradigm shifts too.

For me, my life, which is a pretty idyllic one at that, becomes void. I concentrate on the irritating things like slow traffic or not getting enough done on my to do list, instead of enjoying all that I have. Do you find yourself doing this? Seeing the things that slow you down rather than slowing down to see the things that are incredible around you?

Yesterday was my long run, 10 miles, and commenced a heavy mileage week and significant bump in training. This is how it works, you bump up the entire week's milage and steadily wear yourself down...while actually building endurance, it sounds crazy (and lets face it, it totally is), but it works. Today I had a recovery run. Today, I ran on legs of lead and like a sudden spark of fire, it clicked. I broke the bubble of my comfort zone.

And now, I sit in my perfect little house, with my perfect cup of coffee, staring out at the most beautiful frost crystallized perfect tree and I breath in the moment.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment