Monday, November 10, 2014

I'm Baaaack!


You know the shower scene with the iconic musical score that is the film "Psycho"? That was the sound of me putting on my running shoes this morning.

YES, I finally went for a run.

It was horrible.

I decided, over a glass of wine (how I always get sucked into stupid plans), that I would start training and in fact run the race in the spring I have been considering. This means I had to count backwards from the race date an appropriate number of weeks for training. I found out I am WAY out of shape and need to already be running 16 mile long runs. This is not good. But as my coach (AKA my husband) eagerly cheered me on and planned my training, he also encouraged me to buy new running shoes...you can get me to do just about anything if new shoes are involved. I can't help it, it is a disease. So this morning I had no other choice but to go on my 1st training run. Ouch.

Many people, mostly avid runners, say 'oh man I really haven't been running!' but that means they have been running, but not training, so they are in a loop of shorter runs. When I say I haven't been running, I mean it...I HAVE NOT BEEN RUNNING. Nothing, no exercise at all, for 4 months. I know, it is totally gross. You can imagine how painful today's run was in light of this information. I think I have blood pooling in my lungs.

As I ran, I was thinking about the great things people do, not because I was inspired, but because the podcast I was listening to was droning on about it...I'm not that creative when I'm close to a heart attack. I felt like such a looser, people are out there changing the world and I can't even go out for a short run. In fact now I'm also mad that I let myself completely quit and become a tub of lard. My knee might even be hurting. I suck at running. Maybe this is the dumbest idea ever, who do I think I am jumping into training like this?

I finished the run, quite the feat with my loathsome self talk.

Now as I am writing to all of you... I  am eating cold pizza (hey I had to reward myself for running didn't I?) and staring at the most daunting training schedule I have approached yet. I am officially training for Cedro Peak's 45K Ultra Marathon.

I hope there is enough wine on the planet to get me through this.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment