Thursday, November 13, 2014

If You Have Nothing Nice to Say...Come Sit Next to Me.


I have to say I continue to be a little surprised by how much feedback I get about this blog. I had no idea people liked to hear me hate running so much, until I took this recent 4 month sit-on-my-butt-and-do-nothing vacation. People have come out of the woodwork asking me to start running again so the blog could get back to what I do best...complaining. So here you go my peeps...

Monday I actually started my new training. I set out on that brisk morning feeling inspired (or maybe it was fear), but as you can imagine, the 4 months of nothing felt very heavy as I heaved my body down the road. I finished the run and did NOT lay on the floor crying... so all in all, it was a successful 1st run.

Tuesday morning I woke to a screaming body. My legs burned and twitched in pain with every move. Even my abs were sore. That day's run was a little scary. It took most of the run to warm up and have a bit more ease to my gate. So, not only was the run painful, I also ran like a jerk because all my coordination went out the window when my body seized up. The podcast I listened to that day was about all the suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco...very fitting.

Wednesday, I couldn't move. My lovingly mean husband/ coach looked amused when I said I couldn't run that day. Evidently taking the day off was not an option. He said I at least needed to walk. I would have kicked him, but my legs wouldn't move.

I did as I was told and geared up for a run. I opted for the treadmill since I feared a run out on the road would leave me stranded somewhere unable to get home after my legs broke off my body and I lay there with bloody stumps, my dismembered pieces strewn about me. I made it 1 mile. Ya, no joke. I have gone from my last training with long runs of 16 miles to a pile of mush after 1 mile. I almost decided to pour myself a glass of wine to deal with the blow to my psyche. But instead I decided to punish myself with some cross training exercises.  As sweat dripped down my face and I shook from the exertion, I imagined how happy my "coach" would be to see me suffering like this.  He is a sick sick man.

Today I rest, tomorrow is my long run. The training schedule will ramp up my miles quickly to get me to the point where I can start on the "serious" runs, but I can't look ahead, I can't think about it, I have to simply take each day and do my best. If I give myself even a moment to look at this training and what I will have to do, I may actually end up on a certain bridge in San Francisco.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment