Thursday, September 4, 2014

For Sickness and Health


Wouldn't you know it, just as I was gearing up to finally hit the road again...I caught a horrible cold. Some say exercise actually helps you to avoid sickness, but I have never heard that from a Doctor so I can't really trust that. Some say 'two glasses of wine a day keeps the Doctor away' and while I am sure that has never been uttered by a medical professional, it is a proverb from Spain and should be taken seriously since it is ancient advice...something along the line of needing to trust your elders on this one. And so as the cold took root in my bones, I did NOT exercise, but I did drink wine. I did not get better. In fact, I got worse. However, I'm sure it was not the fault of the wine, wine is my friend.

Day 3 of this nasty beast living inside me and I am finally exorcising it out. I realize I should finally combat this cold with actual running...not the imaginary running I am doing in my head, you know planning your outfit and route but never acting on it? But instead I think I will have Rosé with my lunch today, after all, I don't want to be disrespectful to our elders.

To tell you the truth, I am scared. I am scared to start running again after taking so much time off. I am scared that my legs have atrophied, my lungs are going to stick together and my head will pound in the unrelenting chant 'you can't do this, you can't do this...' and I will be starting from square one. As you can imagine, this kind of thinking keeps my running shoes in the closet pretty easily. Yet I know that I CAN do it, that it doesn't matter if I am starting at square one because I know that I have it in me to accomplish a difficult goal and press on when things gets hard. I've done it before.

Here is the thing, running is the wringing out of your insecurities and pushing you when you think you have nothing left. Each and every one of us deserve to have that revelation. I obviously need that lesson again.

So raise a glass in cheers to our elders, for they knew that exercise and wine was good for you long long ago.

(This blog was brought to you by the ever so delicious Rosé of Dolcetto that Vivac Winery makes so well.)

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment