Monday, June 9, 2014

Follow La Luz


"I read your blog" his voice reverberated through the phone, deep and sultry. My Husband has one of those rich deep voices that sounds like melted dark chocolate sprinkled with sea salt...a touch gravely.

So he read the last blog...hmmm...how bad did I make him sound in that one?

"What did you think?" I asked, always hopeful that he liked it and a bit fearful of his brutal honesty.

"I laughed a lot! Very funny. What did you call me? oh ya, The Liar, ya it was really funny."

Thank God! The thing is, as much as I like to play up the cruelty of the training and pin it on him, since he is my coach, I adore my hubby. He is charming and funny and hello, he is a wine maker! Oh and he takes my abuse as I train.

"So what is the plan for tomorrow?" His attention already past the blog, my complaining and my dark depiction of him. "Where are you going to do your long run?" ever the coach.

I've been in Albuquerque for a week while our son goes to a summer camp. For those unfamiliar, Albuquerque is a large city located in the middle of New Mexico and is hideously hot in the summer...think Hell only hotter. Albuquerque does have its perks though. The city has all kinds of running trails and bike paths, one of which I tried out just a few days ago.

The run had been recommended and portrayed as "beautiful", silly me I pictured the lush green bike path of Eugene, Oregon or the tree lined one in Boulder, Colorado, but this is Albuquerque...this one was along a glorified culvert. Not pretty. I did glimpse a pretty section down in the trees a few yards from the path, but running alone and having already been propositioned by 3 homeless men, I was not eager to be alone in the 'rape me' territory. Maybe I went the wrong direction on the path? Anyway, I was not looking forward to another long run there.

I asked my coach for ideas and after a short Q & A about the week's training workouts, he said "I think you need to do 'La Luz', it will be a fast walk/ hike up and a slow jog down and probably just what you need to have a little metal, emotional and physical reprieve yet get a great workout." his voice was like melted butter sliding down my spine with a tingle and the cherry on top of the awesome idea of a 'break run'. This was JUST what I needed!

'La Luz' is a trail in the mountains of Albuquerque that takes you up to the top of the Tram, a must do if you are visiting...uhhh the Tram is a must do, the hike there is optional. The trail is also an infamous run due to its steep incline. But I was given the gift of walking it...my coach is awesome.

The next day at 8AM and 80 degrees, I excitedly started up the trail, happy to see other hikers (I secretly feared being attacked by a mountain lion or bit by a snake on this trail, but seeing so many people here I was sure would scare most of the animals away). The steep incline was no joke, but I felt good! I actually was able to run most of the way, well except for the parts that require you to literally climb over boulders and navigate exposed tree roots, but otherwise I was totally killing it! The decent was tricky and indeed a slow jog, but I reached the car feeling positively happy! WHAT? Me happy after running for 2 hours? Ya, it was totally crazy.

Turns out all this insane training might actually be working! Somehow I did more than I needed to and was feeling strong. Somehow I had transformed from the broken person of just a few days ago.

...and then I woke up the following day unable to get out of bed. Help! Someone hand me the phone, I need to call The Liar...I mean my coach.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment