Tuesday, January 28, 2014

It Starts Today


Today officially starts my training. I am training for a half marathon later this spring which serves as a stepping stone for my full Marathon in the fall. Up to this point I have been conditioning...training for my training (cue eye roll from non runners). The funny thing about "official training" is that even though I have run 3 miles plenty of times before, this run had an added pressure, a pressure that pushed so hard against my will, that I almost couldn't get myself out the door. But I did. And I ran to another one of my husband's prerecorded podcasts of NPR.

I am starting to think my husband has some kind of plan here as the NPR stories are starting to make sense, no longer a sleepy drawl of voices overlapping with each other, I am now able to identify with the story and message. I am also suppose to tell all of you (mandated public service announcement from my husband) that while I call anything and everything that mimics the impression Saturday Night Live gave America of NPR (who doesn't love Schweddy Balls?), it is not actually all on NPR! Ya, it turns out there are tons of boring voices out there recording various boring stories! Anyway, these boring stories are starting to become interesting.

Today was a Ted Talks about Millenniums. Seems like something I would take notes on intending to apply to the marketing of our winery, but instead I found the conversation of 'what you do in your 20's impacts your entire life' incredibly insightful.  They spoke of the delay this generation has, the message that their 20's are for exploring and that they can put off becoming who they want to be for 10 years. This in turn can and has created identity crises as they careen into their 30's with not enough time to get it all done.

It made me reflect on my 20's and the journey of our winery. My husband, Jesse and his brother, Chris, were in their early 20's with the determination and drive to make the impossible possible. In fact Chris wasn't even 21 when they received their liquor license! They didn't inherit the winery, they created it, blood, sweat and tears. And the funniest part is that my sister-in-law and I joined forces with these enthusiastic men without thinking twice. Ahhh the naivete of youth.

Looking back all of us marvel at the work it has taken to get us to where we are now. And it rings today in my ears as the Ted Talks echos the voice of a young Millennial saying (I'm paraphrasing) 'you do things when you are young that require great suspension of belief, because all of life seems accessible and impossible at the same time'. We loose that as we get older. Big message here, don't let the idea of "tomorrow" carry the weight of what you want to do or who you want to be, do in now.

So now, let us apply this to running. How many times do you need to have that pang of jealousy that someone else ran a race or accomplished an unbelievable goal? Do you think to yourself "I could never do that"? Instead of waiting for an identity crisis to smack you in the face, why not add value to who you are by doing things that create a little of the impossible becoming possible in your life? As the Ted Talks pointed out, we do not have a set path, even though most of us live our life that way. Find that thing that you would love to attempt and ask yourself "what is the worst that could happen"?

I know it is scary to take on something new, but what would it feel like to make the impossible happen in your life? Anyone can run a Marathon, the only difference is that most people choose not to.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment