Thursday, April 26, 2012

Running out


Running out of time?
Running out of excuses?
Running out of food at home?
Running out of money?

Usually running helps me deal with all the other "running" I seem to do, but lately it is building up. The frustration, the impatience... the thirst. It is too much. Then I came across a wonderful article that talked about vacations from running. Yes as a runner you can stop running!

Once the competitive drive ratchets up, it seems to be a never ending process of what-comes-next syndrome. The constant training, the scheduled runs, the panic of missing one, the details of getting around an injury. It starts to feel like another job! But it doesn't occur to you that you can and should take a break! This doesn't mean stop running and sit on the sofa eating ice cream...however that is exactly what I did after my first full Marathon. After my first half marathon (and yes I purposely capitalized Marathon when referring to a full and not when referring to a half, it deserves a little more respect in my mind) I had complete gall bladder failure and was also strapped to the sofa eating ice cream, but that time it was laying down. Anyway, back to my point...

Start enjoying running again! Run as long as you feel like running rather than the prescribed mileage for that day. Skip a run to do something completely different, ski, bike, raft, swim, yoga...sleep? Not training suddenly frees up so much time!

Ironically... I am in training for the Taos half marathon. But I am taking the advice to take a vacation and stop all the "running" in more ways than one. We start Happy Hour Season this weekend and it is important to enjoy seeing our friends and neighbors again, often the only time anyone gets to see the 4 of us is at these Happy Hours. So I say skip a run, stop "running" around and come running to our Happy Hour!

Kicking off Saturday April 28th with "The Pathetics" from 4-7, you can relax, forget the stresses of the week, enjoy a wine flight with savory plate pairing or sample some of our gourmet picnic items. Enjoy half priced wines and free live entertainment! Need an excuse to have fun? Now you have one! (this advertisement has been brought to you by Vivác Winery)

Sometimes you have to know when to stop running and smell the roses...or the wine.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment