Saturday, February 4, 2012

Runner's guide to wine pairings


I have come to understand that running is a day by day activity. One day it is amazing, another not so great. It seems to have no rhyme or reason, it just really sucks or it... sucks less.

Last week I obviously had a low point (see "But it hurts so good"). I wondered if I should quit, but after a ridiculous night of no sleep (comes with the territory for being a mom even when he is 5!) and my running partner injured, I headed out, on my birthday no less, for an 18 mile run. Scared.

As with all things, it is the story you tell yourself about what you are doing that makes it good or bad and for some unknown reason, I felt good! I felt rested despite no sleep. I felt strong. I felt cold, man it was freezing!

Needless to say, I finished with one of the best days of running under my belt. What a gift. And that horrible run last week? That was a gift too! I now know what it feels like to really suffer on a run and I made it to the end. I think I might, just might, make it the 26.2 miles to the finish line in Napa.

Now, since it is a day of celebration, here is a selection of runner's wine pairings:

Sore feet: Sauvignon Blanc (chilled... cold is suppose to be good for sore feet).

Muscle cramp: Cabernet Sauvignon (wine this silky promises to sooth any muscle pain).

IT band: Diavolo (that thing is a beast and needs a strong dark wine to sooth).

Knee pain: Tempranillo (preferably with chocolate...for the knees of course).

Back pain: Montepulciano (that wine can sooth anything and even tastes amazing out of a straw while you lay on the sofa).

Obviously all these wines are available at Vivác Winery (www.VivacWinery.com) and you can bet I will need most of them to celebrate my run, my birthday and sooth all the pain in my body. It is best that you don't remember the pain of long runs if you plan to do it again next week!

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment