Friday, February 10, 2012

Attacked in the dark


Today I should be running 20 miles. Right now I should be on the road, wondering how I am going to make it. What am I doing? Nursing my knee while I nurse my hang over.

2 days ago, as I headed to bed, I turned all the lights off and started down the hall. I had had a good day, but was tired, I looked forward to the next day's short run. I joked with Jesse...I had no idea what was about to happen.

In the blink of an eye, I was in intense pain. Shooting hot sparks of pain radiated out of my left knee. I screamed as I lay on the floor. My immediate thought was "how am I going to run my marathon?!" maybe I was becoming a runner.

What happened? Was I attacked by someone lurking in the hall? YES! Was this evil lurking in the dark shrouded in black? YES! Was my attacker unfeeling, uncaring and detached? YES! The scariest part is I knew my attacker. I knew him as a kind, loving, loyal friend. In an instant he became the enemy of everything I have worked so hard for. He was... my dog.

Baco Noir is a big black dog that usually possesses enough wit and sense to lay to the side of the hall or get out of the way as someone approaches. That night however, he lay stretched completely across the hall and didn't move out of the way. Instead he lay in waiting for my poor foot to trip over causing all of my weight to crash down on my left knee cap. As I writhed in pain on the floor, he simply got up, cast an annoyed glimpse my way and went to lay somewhere else.

Not broken, but bruised and swollen, I am on bed rest and binge drinking. The drinking helps the frustration and I am pretty sure the combination of Chardonnay, Divino and Merlot not only help with the pain but advance the healing process...yes, I am sure of it.

To add to this whole debacle, Jesse continues to have severe tightening in his calf with each run, this has requiring him to bike instead of run. This is not looking good for him. Anyone with ideas of how to help this, PLEASE let us know!

So what happens now that I am a few short weeks from my Marathon and off my training? Well, as my father said "If you can't run, this will be one drunk trip to Napa!" Ahhh... he knows me well. Happy Birthday Dad!

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment