Monday, July 23, 2012

Creative Counting



When there is no time to run, I find that I get very creative with delineating what activities "count" as exercise. I have been in a hotel room for a week so everything is off schedule. Sure there is a gym at the hotel, but I am traveling with my son who can't be left in the hotel room alone (or can he at age 6?) and I certainty can't take him with me to the gym, he would die of boredom (or would he play with the iPad like a happy little camper?). Well I can't get caught up in silly details, but the gym is out! The heat takes running outside out. I could probably find a YouTube video to do...something, but...but...I have no reason why I didn't do that. Damn, that would have been a good idea. But then, what would I write about? I would feel so bad that you wonderful, deserving people didn't hear me gripe this week and I simply couldn't do that to you.

What the hell was my point? Oh yes, counting OTHER activities as exercise. So in a typical day, while on vacation, I have had to heave my 50 lb child into and out of various preferred viewing positions at museums. That counts as bicep curls at least! Chase a running 6 year old up and down stairs and around museums while carrying my purse, packed with every sort of Armageddon necessity, along with my child's backpack full of... crap, that definitely counts as weighted sprints. The 9 million times I drop things on the floor out of my purse while searching for something that has fallen to the bottom of my bottomless pit, then bending down to pick those fallen items up is obviously squats. And of course, the countless times I had to snake on my belly under a coffee table into the "cave" to reset the broken DVD player counts as yoga AND Pilates!

So when I start to feel bad about being off schedule with my running (Again!), I breath a sigh of relief. Sure I didn't run this week, but I got a mean work out.

You know if you add in lifting my wine glass each evening...

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment