Friday, May 25, 2012

It's a Marathon, but Someone has to do it!


Everyone loves to joke about the distance of a full Marathon (26.2 miles).  If you say you are training to run a full Marathon, you will inevitably hear "ahh man, anyone could do the 26, but it is the .2 that gets you!".  Hardy-har-har.

The truth of the matter is, that .2 is a killer! You struggle through the ending miles of a Marathon with heavy legs, only to finally get to the 26 mile marker and have the .2 stretch out ahead of you like some sick joke. That .2 is torture. That .2 is hell. Or maybe that is just me...I have only run one full Marathon and I think it is when I saw the mirage of the finish line at the end of that deadly .2 that my lungs literally stuck together. Maybe it gets easier, but that isn't what I have heard from even those that have run many...like Jesse and Chris.

So will there be another Marathon in the near future?

The Taos Marathon is June 10th (www.TaosMarathon.weebly.com) and of course Chris and Jesse will be running it. Chris, in true Chris form (see previous post "A Family Affair") has jumped in and started his training with a 20 mile run. I know, he totally sucks. Jesse on the other hand is diligently continuing his training for the ULTRA Marathon this fall, so he is running 26 miles today. Yes you read that correctly, TWENTY SIX miles...for a training run! We would say he had completed yet another full marathon, but he isn't doing the .2 so it doesn't count. And yes I will be telling him this as I laugh and sip wine. You see I am not running today.

I am on the wine marathon. I am training very diligently, 100% focused. Every single day I make myself drink more wine. "How does she do it?" you may ask, but there is no way to explain it, some people have a gift. I have that gift.

Sauv Blanc, Riesling, Cab, a blend, a sparkling wine, then back to a Chard, oh yes I can go from white to red and back again! Recently at a blind tasting, or in the wine marathon arena, The Main Event, I managed to nail every single wine blindly including several vintage dates. I am very impressed with myself. You see, in the wine marathon, you don't need screaming supporters, you just need to think highly of yourself.

So I am taking a short break this week from training for running races and focusing on running circles around my glass. I hope you join me. It is so much more fun...and less sweaty.

 -Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment