Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday indulgence

With the holidays fast approaching, it seems even harder to hit the road running, but easier to over indulge! Any tips on keeping running ready through this time of the year?

Jesse and I (Michele) are preparing for a marathon in Napa Valley CA in March 2012, it will be my 1st. Jess has completed 2 with his brother Chris, the Valles Caldera in Los Alamos NM and the Duke City ABQ NM. Chris actually ran the Duke City twice now and ran the Grand Canyon Marathon only a couple of weeks later, making his total 4 marathons. He is looking forward to running his first half marathon in Aguascalientes Mexico when he, Lili and the kids are visiting her family this winter.

Jesse and I ran our 1st half marathon a couple years ago in Denver CO. Since then I have trained repeatedly for a marathon and not even made it to the start line. Sickness, injury and self doubt has plagued my running. I feel great now though and am excited about Napa! I love Napa.

I worry a little about Jesse. He broke a rib making wine, then ran hard at Duke City for a PR only to come out of it with shin splints. 3 weeks later he attempted running the Grand Canyon Marathon with Chris. At this time Jess also had a bad cold on top of his injuries. He made it 15 miles. Training now  has been slow for him due to the major amount of strain his body had to endure. Currently he is cross training and slowly building up mileage again. I have to admit I love having him ride his bike next to me as I run long runs, encouraging me, I feel like "Rocky" or that kid in Africa that runs crazy mileage.

Tonight Jesse and Chris treat the winery staff to a home made holiday meal (made by them and yes they are amazing cooks) where the guys spend the night waiting on all of us. The wines they pull from the private library are always spectacular. Last year we had a vertical line up of some of the first Cabernet Sauvignons they ever made, it was mind blowing that 10 years later, they were not just holding up, but gorgeous! The guys were kids when they made them!

After a night of dynamite food and wine pairing, we have to run 10 miles tomorrow. I am already dreading it. Where is the Advil and Vitamin Water?


-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family, now go for a run!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment