Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Harder than it Needs to be


My training is in an accelerated mode so that I can work on speed. I am working toward 1st running a half marathon this spring, then another in the summer, followed by the New York City Marathon in the fall (if I get in). My goal is to run the NYC race with a far better time than my 1st Marathon. Why does this matter? Because I am a perfectionist and like to make myself miserable.

As training ramps up, I have found I am actually hanging in there this round, full of optimism and even a little enjoyment, which also translates to less cross training activities. I'm liking running and looking forward to my runs. In the past I have relied on splicing in bike rides or skiing to keep me from getting too bored with running.

So, oddly enough, I found myself going skiing today. I am newly back to the sport after many years off. My husband is an incredible skier (shocker right? The guy is good at everything he does), and my son at age 7 has suddenly become a little shredder...so I decided I better get my butt in gear or I'll be left in the dust.  As usual, my hubby is the coach. He not only encourages, but guides us down the hill. Today my hubby didn't go with us. Today it was me, my 7 year old and the mountain.

Just so I don't sound completely crazy, I do have to let you know that my son has been in ski school and his instructors did give him the official green light to get on the 'Big Lift'. So this in mind, and my husband's encouraging voice ringing in my ears "you'll be fine, you guys are doing great!", I hoisted my baby boy onto the 'Big Lift' and away we flew up the mountain.

It has been unseasonably warm here in New Mexico which is not good for the snow conditions. After a freak storm blew in over the weekend, it seemed like a golden opportunity to take advantage of the fresh powder. Well, when they said they had gotten snow at the ski resort, they lied.

As our skis hit the slush and we slid off the lift, we naturally slowed to a stop at the top of the run. Think of a melting snow cone with patches of brown earth faintly seen underneath mixed with scatterings of ice marbles, this is what we would ski all the way down. My sweet little boy's face turned up to me and he said "I can't do this". Oh shit. Now what? Not only am I not strong enough to carry my son, I am like an orangutan on skis when I ski so I can't help with advice in any way. I convinced him that we COULD do this and that I would help. Half an hour later and another fearful smash landing into me, I was cursing my husband in my head, we were NOT ready to be without coach. I pushed my edges in hard and kept us from launching off the cliff into the trees. We had managed to flail about 20 yards down the mountain. It was clear that we would be here all day and that climbing Mount Everest may be easier.

I took a deep breath and smiled at the adorable little person at my side. He was trying so hard, but he was letting fear take over. A familiar feeling to me with my running. A feeling I have overcome. I informed him of this and that we were going to get down this mountain by focusing on small sections and not thinking about the big picture...and we would then go get hot cocoa and cookies. Nothing encourages children like promised celebrations of sugar. An hour and a half later, we unclicked from our skis at the base. I thought about throwing them in the trash.

All I could think of this whole time was, 'why didn't I just go for a run?'.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment