Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Valentine


Today's post is part running, part relationship advice, part self help...it must be that Valentine's Day is in the air...or that I am drunk.

Today was a "sprint" day. This means that unlike my usual running THROUGH the pain...I enforce greater pain ON myself. Ya, not my favorite day of the week. Why do this? Because 1) it will actually increase my speed (who wants to run a 5 hour Marathon? Oh wait, ya that was my slow ass Marathon time), and 2) "Pu-ti-pi-cation" (this is "purification" said in the voice of my dear Tibetan Lama friend's sweet voice...in my head). When you push your body, your mind is challenged as well. Think of it as fast forward meditation. And today was a good one.

Most days, the ho-hum of chores and work weigh on you. It is easy to fall into the trap of bills to pay and annoying piles of socks. Your relationship with your spouse can start to feel like a list of critiques. But today, I headed out on a run and it all changed.

As I ran, I listened to an NPR podcast (yes I am still listening to NPR and it is actually really growing on me). This week, my hubby lovingly selected a collection of stories that he thought I would enjoy, today's podcast was different kinds of love stories. As I sprinted up a hill, my heart thudding in my ears, my eyes suddenly burst full of tears as I reached the top. The body/ mind breakdown was in full effect. I thought about my hubby waking up early to get his run in before our son woke up, all to squeeze in family time before work. In addition he also found time to select a week's worth of podcasts he thought I would like and load them on my ipod. I thought about how he has stopped drinking coffee, but made some just for me. I thought about his constant encouragement of my running and goals. I thought about my nagging over his socks and my frequent bad moods. I thought about how hard I am on myself and how hard that is in turn on our relationship. I thought about how much fun we have together, how much I rely on his friendship and how wonderful our marriage is. I thought about what a wonderful person he is and just how lucky I am to be with him 13 years after our first date.

At this point, I think people driving by thought I was weeping on the side of the road because I hate running. Fair enough, it isn't that far from the truth, but this wasn't why I was crying, it was "pu-ti-pi-cation". Through these Oprah like 'Ah-ha' moments, we grow as individuals. The individual growth spills over into your relationships which in turn alter who you are at work or in your community and little by little we can change the world. I know about now you are thinking "wow, she must have found the runner's high", but appreciating things around you can lead to changes in your thinking which is profound. (See mom, I have been listening to all your great advice)

So I leave you with this to ponder: let Valentine's Day creep into all the little things in your life this week. Show gentleness to those around you and more importantly yourself. I plan to turn that judgmental voice in my head off this week...ok at least for today...maybe just for this hour, but it is a start. I'm also going to find something nice to do daily for my hubby, because he is so much more than piles of dirty socks around the house, he is the man I love, respect and want to spend the rest of my life with and that is something to celebrate every day.

Now strap on your running shoes and go run your little heart out, it will do you good! At the very least, it will earn you a giant glass of wine.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment