Thursday, May 30, 2013

To Wine or Not to...ya right.


(...continued from "Home Free")

I last left all of you with us in a hotel room with plenty of wine, but no cups AT ALL (not even a water bottle) to drink it out of. Things got pretty scary, I considered shoes to sip out of, but we all had flip flops and sandles. I was wishing I hadn't decided to unpack my running shoes after all, hell at least they would finally have gotten some use. We started to panic, and to again curse the maid that didn't replace our trashed starter glasses. Then out of no where, like the angel that she is, my mother produced clean plastic cups for all of us! Cheers rang out and the vacation was able to continue.
"How did you find these glasses we asked?"
She shrugged innocently and sipped her wine. For a moment I wondered what she was not telling us, but then the relief of wine in my hand took over and I didn't care if she had mugged someone for them.

After the horror of that 1st day without cups, we figured out not to throw them away and we continued to have a happy vessel to drink from.

So what about this beautiful city we were visiting? Did we simply spend the entire time in Mexico worrying about our next glass of wine? Well, yes, but we did venture out of the hotel and away from our wine (with hands shaking) to sight see and experience Aguascalientes.

My sister-in-law Liliana's family are kind and generous people who excitedly invited us into their homes. We visited the city center and it's beautiful gardens with each fountain's spray wetting the cobblestone paths. The flowering trees arched down as if to sip on the flowing water and exquisite cathedrals loomed in the distance. It is nothing short of magical.

Now believe it or not, you can not live on wine alone, I know it is terrible, but true. Luckily there is great food on every street corner...literally. Just to clarify, growing up in New Mexico, we know some of the traditional Mexican food (but surprise to everyone in the world) we in Northern New Mexico, eat Northern New Mexican food. I know it is crazy. Anyway, the food in this part of Mexico, specifically Aguascalientes, is some of my favorite and Liliana's family is hands down the BEST cooks. I spend much of my time thinking about the meals we had seated at her sister's house looking over her lush gardens and fruit trees...sipping wine. What you didn't think we would leave the wine at the hotel ALL the time did you?

Things were going so easily, so comfortably that we decided to roll the dice and let my mother-in-law head out in the middle of the night to pick up her husband from the airport...alone. What happened next nearly made us put our glasses of wine down in alarm. Nearly.

(to be continued...)

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.vivacwinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment