Monday, March 5, 2018

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 40's

It took me forever to write this post because I was stuck, unable to move onto the major adventure portion of our trip (oh yes, there are some crazy stories ahead)...because I was stuck on the experience of my 40th birthday. Most people say the 40s are great and considering I was in a shit storm (excuse my language) last year with my health, you'd think I'd agree, BUT I am a big baby and having a temper  tantrum. Why you ask? You were in Colombia on vacation after all right? Yes, I physically was in a wonderful place, mentally  however, I was a hot mess.

The big day arrived... my 40th birthday, our last day in the Garden of Eden, and my child got horribly sick. It was the icing on the cake. Now, like all mothers, I took it in stride; there is nothing like seeing your child sick to kick mama mode into gear. So I ignored the birthday plans we'd made and settled in to spend the day in our apartment. We tried our best to make it fun, my husband Jesse seriously rose to the occasion to make the most of the day, running out to get coffee and food and lots of wine, perhaps aware of what boiled under the surface. Yet the overarching symbolism of my loathsome 40th being filled with puke was not lost on me and by the end of the day I was in tears. The end of the year had challenged me emotionally in ways I can't share in this forum (yes, there ARE some things I don't post publicly) that also added to my midlife crisis. It was as if the culmination of the last 2 years, all the emotions stuffed down, couldn't be held any longer and I wept on Jesse's shoulder.

I can sense your eyes rolling at this point. I know, I know, grow up and get a grip. I actually am, but I had to find a way to describe the birthday because that in part, sets up our next leg of the trip as we leave Jardin and dive deep into the jungle.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment