Friday, January 11, 2013

Too. Much. Fuel.


With New Year's Day only a breath behind us, I promptly boarded a plane to Vegas. And yes I did vow just as all of you did to drink less and exercise more, eat better and get more sleep, so doesn't it make sense that I should start the year off with a Ladies trip to Vegas? Of course!

The entire time I was in Vegas, my running shoes never escaped the binds of my suitcase, but hey points for packing them right? My eating habits turned to the most indulgent of pleasures and my drinking? Well...they give you free champagne all over the city! What is a girl to do? Needless to say, on the plane ride home, I sat... half drunk, half hungover (a terrible combination) and I realized just how terribly I did with my new resolutions, in fact it was as if I had stood before the mighty New Year's God and announced my resolutions, then went hysterically laughing, naked and crazy down the street in the other direction. Thank goodness that is not a metaphor for what actually did happen in Vegas...no naked running down the street.

Once back at home, I decided that I needed to be a little less "Fueled by Vivac" and started a cleanse. I dutifully did my research seeking a good cleanse...on Facebook, and determined my own "Vegas detox". Honestly I live in the middle of no where and since I was gone for 3 days, there was literally no groceries in the house so it limited my possibilities. Lemon and water became my tonic and I struggled to add veggies and fruit. I cut out caffeine, alcohol (cue gasps of horror), wheat (which I do anyway, but should still get credit for), refined sugar and dairy. By day 2 I needed to have a hard boiled egg in addition to this crazy diet. Day 3 I forgot I wasn't eating cheese and by that evening had the DT's and broke down to have a glass of wine. A glass of the most divine, luscious, nectar ...Vivac Tempranillo. So evidently I do a cleanse a bit like I handle my resolutions.

However, I haven't failed miserably at it all. I learned to scale my "laws of the new year" and  have decided total restriction isn't the answer, but portion control is. A good night sleep naturally means less caffeine needed the next day and while we have become a crazed running family over the last couple years, ANY exercise is better than none. And finally, but most importantly...if you start drinking at lunch, you can consume your necessary, daily 4 glasses of wine without ever feeling the ill effects!

So I leave you to ponder your New Year's Resolutions, ask if you can really keep up with the demands you have set for yourself. I recommend you do this over a glass of wine...we don't want to jump into anything too quickly, it is only mid January after all and resolutions don't truly start till February 1st...right?

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment