Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wine over Running


The "Up and Over" race at the Taos Ski Valley in Northern New Mexico, is literally just that...up and over... a notoriously steep mountain. A 10K (6 mile) race, this is not for the faint of heart, literally. Starting at the base of chair one (at 9,207 feet) the race drags you straight up the face of the mountain, over the top and back down to end at the base of chair one again. An awful lot of work to end up right where you started don't you think? It seems like a great example of Buddhist philosophy.

The scenery is gorgeous, the air temp holds a slight chill and the "path" promises danger with every step. This is what you call off road racing. This is what you call an accident waiting to happen. This is what you call a good time for my husband Jesse.

So I know you guys are holding your breath in anticipation, did I derby (see "Being Derbied by Running")? No, no I didn't...because I was sitting in the sun at the base of chair one with a chilled glass of Chardonnay gleaming in my glass. I too started and ended at the base of chair one, but my experience was a hell of a lot more fun!

Jesse ran this race as part of his training for the ever nearing "Deadman Ultra". He joined me, with his  legs like jello, for a glass of wine at the end of his race and we marveled at the beauty of the mountain together.

I also enjoyed the feeling of satisfaction as I watched people wretch at the end of the race and Jesse complain of muscle fatigue, ahh yes, I again made the right decision, wine over running, yes definitely the right choice.

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
www.VivacWinery.com
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment