Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jingle knees, jingle knees, jingle all the way!

 Ahh the gift of giving...seems this Holiday Season, Jesse gave HIS aching knees to me! Jesse has recovered beautifully from his injuries and is back on the road running. I however seem to be gaining knee issues with my increase of mileage. Anyone else battling the knees?

We hit a hard going, fast 4 miles on Sunday which seems to have inflamed my IT band, not fun. I admit, I drank a bit too much the night before (but our newly bottled Divino red wine blend was too much for me to stay out of) and the entire run hurt. The vigorous effort gave me runner's tummy too. I am so lucky this year with all these "gifts"!

Today I reluctantly climbed aboard my old clanking treadmill to run the necessary 6 miles. As I started, I thought how much I admired Jesse for getting up in the dark to run his 6 miles this morning, it must have been freezing! My knees burned and I took several walking minutes. I struggled out 55 mins, unable to make the 65 mins I needed. Feeling drained, extremely fatigued and soaking in sweat, I asked myself if I could actually continue training. Do I really have what it takes? What do I do about my knees? I limped to my running log and saw, low and behold I was only suppose to do 5 miles today and the 55mins was GREAT! Instantly my mood lightened and while my knees continue to tingle (not in a good way), I felt perhaps it wasn't the end of the world. I am also really sorry I told Jess he had to run 6...in the dark, freezing cold. Oops, sorry babe!

Chris got a run in the other day. He ran a grueling 40 mins up the arroyo. For those of you who are not familiar, an arroyo is a sandy riverbed that in best of conditions is, well, sandy. In the worst conditions it is REALLY sandy or muddy. I personally would rather hug a cactus then run up the arroyo.

Chris has a son Maddox and a baby daughter Chablis which makes sneaking in runs difficult to say the least. Luckily Chris has the "gift" of running on his side, he is one of those people that can hit the road after not running for months, and then run 10 or even 15 miles no problem! It is wild. He also has the gift of an understanding wife, Liliana, who balances everything while Chris repeatedly trains for races.

Chris will run the half marathon in Mexico on New Year's Day 2012, I don't think any of us envy the pain that will rack his head that day after a celebration the night before, but what a great way to kick off the New Year!

So as I ice my knees and open a chilled bottle of our Rosé of Dolcetto, I ask, what are you hoping to find under the tree this year? I hope to find my resolve...and the commitment to only drink on days I already ran, not the night before!

-Cheers from the Vivác Winery Family!
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.VivacWinery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment